If you belong to any of the following groups, then you are at a high risk of tooth loss now or sometime in the future:
- Men 35 years and older
- People that have never received dental care from a professional
- People that do not maintain good oral hygiene
- People suffering from hypertension, diabetes, or rheumatoid arthritis
- People that smoke heavily (or smoked heavily in the past).
Easy tips to prevent tooth loss
Ultimately, whether or not you lose your teeth is dependent on you. If you are particularly susceptible, here are some tips to help you keep all your teeth:
- Brush after every meal with fluoride toothpaste and floss regularly to remove plaque. Drink water with high fluoride content.
- Reduce your alcohol and tobacco intake. Alcohol increases the chances of oral cancers, and if you smoke as well as drink, you are even more vulnerable to tooth loss.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Avoid diets with high-starch and high-sugar content.
- People living with diabetes must manage the disease properly. Gum disease, which causes tooth loss, is a common complication of diabetes.
- If any of your drugs cause your mouth to dry up, ask your doctor for alternatives. If there are none, drink more water, chew sugarless gum, and eat foods that increase saliva production, e.g., apples, cheese, and bitter greens.
Most importantly, visit a dentist more regularly. By doing so, any dental problems can be discovered quickly and treated.
If you live or work in Richmond, Texas; Mission Bend Family Dentistry is the leading dental clinic in the area. Call 832-895-5110 now to schedule an appointment.