Your dentist might have suggested restorative treatment like wisdom tooth extraction if your third molars are impacted or cause discomfort. To avoid any complications after the procedure, you must stick to the dentist’s instructions. Moreover, maintaining your dental hygiene is crucial. Usually, dentists recommend not brushing your teeth post-surgery for the first 24 hours. So if you’re wondering, ‘Can I brush my teeth after wisdom teeth removal?’ continue reading for more information.
How Long Till I Can Brush My Teeth After Wisdom Teeth Removal?
Wisdom tooth extraction can lead to swelling and pain for a few days, making it difficult to clean your teeth. Therefore, don’t brush your teeth on the first day of the surgery. Otherwise, you’ll be left facing additional complications. Even if you do brush, make sure to avoid the extraction site.
Once the first day of wisdom tooth extraction has passed, you can resume brushing again. However, you’ll need to be extra careful and gentle while brushing your teeth.
Tips to Brush Teeth After Wisdom Teeth Removal
Consult your dentist about how to brush your teeth after your wisdom tooth is extracted. In most cases, the dentist instructs their patients to start brushing the following day.
In the first few weeks after the procedure, you’ll have to be extra careful when brushing. Here are some factors that might help you clean your teeth:
- Switch to a new brush or brush head when you brush after the surgery. This is because the toothbrush can accumulate bacteria over time, which can be detrimental to your mouth after the extraction.
- Brush very slowly and be extra careful around the extraction site.
- Always brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Don’t brush in haste; take time to scrub your teeth safely and thoroughly.
- Use small, circular strokes to brush your teeth.
- After you eat or drink anything, swish a solution of lukewarm saltwater in your mouth.
- When you’re rinsing your mouth, swish gently and not vigorously.
- Go for a milder toothpaste to steer clear of infections.
What Else Does Wisdom Teeth Aftercare Include?
The dos and don’ts after a wisdom tooth extraction include:
- Switching to a liquid diet for a few days. These include mashed potatoes, mashed bananas, soups, smoothies, etc.
- Avoid using straws and any other activity that requires suction.
- Compress your jaw with ice if it is swollen and painful.
- Use OTC options or pain medications, whatever your dentist suggests, after the procedure. However, don’t take aspirin as it can increase bleeding.
- Avoid flossing and brushing the back teeth in the beginning.
- Refrain from indulging in strenuous activities and smoking
What To Do?
Were you wondering if you can brush after wisdom teeth extraction? You can, but it is just better to avoid brushing the extraction site or the mouth altogether in the first 24 hours. Moreover, be gentle and careful when you do brush your teeth.
Our Mission Bend Dentistry team guides you after your oral and dental procedures. You can schedule an appointment with us at (832) 895-5110.
Our dental office is 7039 FM 1464 #130, Richmond, TX 77407, United States. When you reach Bellaire Crossing, look to the left to see our reputable clinic on the left of State Farm and right of Crepes & Conss.